'Weaving Together' - Harakeke Workshop
The first in the 2018 Winter Workshop Series - 'Weaving Together' - A hands on harakeke (flax) weaving workshop where you will be expertly guided by local Tairawhiti weaver Catherine White to construct a small woven basket.
"I have been weaving since 1974 when we were living in Ruatoria. Because we moved with my husband's position in the Church I had a lot of contact with inspirational people like Emily Schuster, Digger Te Kanawa and Dame Rangimarie Hetet. Back in Gisborne I worked with people like Nanny Whaipooti Hitchiner and Gladys Ruru.
I made my first wahakura (flax bassinet) for my son in 1983 and have been involved with tutoring wahakura weaving for the last dozen years. My reward is seeing the thrill people get when they finish something they never expected to be able to do.
My learning was mostly in Ruatoria, with Tuahine Hauraki; Waitara/New Plymouth at the Rangimarie Art and Craft Centre, and with Nukutere weavers here, and also the Wananga of Aotearoa."
This will be a hands on workshop with all materials supplied.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
• DATE: Saturday August 11th 2018
• TIME: 10am - 4pm
• VENUE*: Far East Coffee Co Roastery. Shed 5, 67 Awapuni Road. Gisborne
• COST: $25 per person. Your booking will be confirmed when we receive your payment
• WHAT TO BRING: Please bring a packed lunch. Coffee, tea and a light afternoon tea will be provided
• DETAILS: Please arrive ready to start at 10am. Limited to 10 people.
*for venue directions please click >here.